Tuesday, April 7, 2009

General Lee Makes an Inappropriate Remark



Here's Pickett's rejoinder.

Is this a mean cartoon? Now that I look at it, I think it might seem a little like I'm kicking General Pickett when he's down. But I like General Pickett, I really do.

Over the weekend, I watched the scenes of Pickett's Charge from the movie Gettysburg (someone posted the whole sequence, from Longstreet's planning it to the aftermath on YouTube), and I have to admit, I still get something in my eye when General Pickett is frantically asking what's happening to his boys. It's a pretty good movie. A little long, and not exactly fast-paced, but still, a pretty good movie.

I wish I could say the same for the sequel, "Gods and Generals." I wanted to like it, but, come on. If it isn't self-indulgence for a director to bring a Civil War movie to a screeching halt just to watch Jeff Daniels reciting the poetry of Richard Lovelace, then I don't know what self-indulgence is.

1 comment: